Monday, August 13, 2007

and when there`s no water for 3 days?

You wish for a good thunderstorm and alot of buckets.

Today we hit the jackpot! Bucket baths for everyone tonight!



This is something I definitely WON'T miss about living in Las Vegas. In the neighborhood we live in, water usually makes it through the crappy underground city water pipes 3-4 times a week. During the rainy season, the pipes clog full of mud and clay so we get fresh water 2 or 3 days a week-depending on the week.

We keep all extra water in a big cement tank in the back of the house (called a pila-every house has one!)



The pila is where we do our laundry, wash our dishes, and sometimes wash up for bed. In the rainy season we try to keep it especially clean since it fills with mosquito larvae and turns into a breeding ground for dengue and malaria. Luckily, as far as we know, Las Vegas hasn't had any cases of Malaria. Our organization asks that we take Malaria medication every week for 2 years. I won't elaborate on whether we took our medication or not, but since there's no dengue in our area, I'll let you make your best guess. We've both had dengue fever, though. It's not fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had a g-hetto alley like that in my yard. I would hang out there all the time to increase my "street rep" (not that it needs to be increased or anything).