Saturday, October 29, 2005

Rockin like a Hurricane




Thats right, Hurricane Beta almost blew my host families roof off this morning. Its really windy. Tomorrow we´re supposed to get slammed with the rain.

Also tomorrow, we leave for field based training in a city of 50,000 (and a grocery store) called Siguatepeque, about 3 hours from santa lucia, but still in the mountains.

Also worth mentioning: 1. The city we are being placed in as volunteers (which we wont know the name till the end of Nov.) wants us to help build a library, and then get the programming going. I might get to use my PR degree here after all. And for Simon, they want him to teach teachers how to teach history and geography! So thats cool too.

2. Simon has athletes foot (along with everyone else here from the moist weather) , but thats not the mentionable part. The mentionable part is that a Land Rover drove to Tegus just to pick up his foot cream and have it personally delivered to him. It was supposed to come directly to our house, but came to school instead. I just thought the urgency of the situation was worth a laugh. Oh, and then he forget his medicine at the training center anyways.

3. Simon is excited to buy some peanut butter next week at the grocery store.

4. We met this cool marred couple who are volunteers, and Tom killed a scorpion that feel out of the rafters and onto my charla paper. Thanks buddy.

That´s all for now. Take care and I hope everyone´s doing better at home. We miss you all.

good day. Crystal and Simon

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

more than just peanut butter...there are two great grocery stores, a couple of good bars, and good eats (several good vegetarian options as well as a steak house), lots of internet, cheap ass booze, whole wheat tortillas and nutella...not that i miss siguat or anything...

take care

tomás

Dirty Flamingo said...

Sounds like you two have some interesting projects coming your way!

Maybe they'll put up a commemorative plaque in front of the library in honour of you two. ;)

saludos
adrianna

Anonymous said...

Hurrican Beta? Didn't that originate in the Alhpa sea and get pushed by the omega winds towards Honduras? I would be pissed if the hurricane that hit me was named "Beta" - I would want it to be named "Bone Crusher" or something like that. At least I could tell everyone "I survived a Category 5 Bone Crusher" and feel tough for a second or two. I would also like to point out for the record that every post that is put up by you guys contains something clumsy or forgetful Simon did (falling in river, forgeting foot cream). It is good to see things haven't changed too much.

ami said...

things at home suck, but at least we haven't had a hurricane