Hey, how`ya doing? This is S, writing at cha from our volunteer visit site, Moroceli. Moreceli is located in a more southern department of the country, and it is hot out! This morning we got up, had fresh coffee, played with our volunteer friends' pet bunnies and went on a nice long hike...in the heat (about 90 degrees) with no breeze or cloud cover. We will soon be investing in some Honduran sun block-an umbrella. The sun was relentless and J & I love going for hikes just fine, but this one really tired us out.
It seems to me that most of the town in the south are very hot and dusty, very brown looking-like the desert maybe?
(Pictured:Sahara Desert-much like Moreceli)
I'm sure they are much better in the rainly season, and hopefully a little more color comes to each village.
We are hanging out here this weekend with the most hospitable Steven and Teresa, the purpose of which is to check out some actual pcvs in their site, as C and I are still in trainee status until mid December. Its pretty cool here (thats not in reference to the weather?, the people are friendly and the town´s size of 5000 feels like a comfortable size.
Today we went for a hike, and i fell into a river. Not a huge river, but, i slipped on some rocks while crossing a stream and got kinda wet. Aside from that, our hike was awesome, and i terribly regret not bringing my camera this weekend.
Also, C and I have some pretty sweet news. Our program will more than likely be focused upon running a baseball team in Honduras. We don`t know the specifics or location as of yet, but from what we understand its some kind of traveling team league that has formal ties to Major League Baseball of the United States. Per usual, you will know when we know.
C says hi, and we both would appreciate some phone calls people! If you need our number, drop us an email. We now have a cell phone. Honduras has 2 major cell phone companies-Tigo and Alo. We use Tigo....you buy 25, 50, 100 or 250 lempira cards and get like minute per lempira. Also texts are only 2 lemps a piece, and we can text to the states for that price! All incoming texts and phone call from the U.S. or anywhere are free for us, so we will be expecting your calls :).
The phone isn't anything special looking, and having one of the nicer versions would be pointless for us, as it would just get ruined, wet, dusty or stolen. It works great and almost all departments of the country have decent service. It's not perfect though- the towers often go out after storms, and calls sometimes cut out. The higher in the mountains you are, it seems the worse the service is. It's pretty handy to carry a Tigo phone, though.

And they're cheap. You can buy one in any major city over 15,000 people in Honduras for roughly 40 dollars. Tigo cards are readily available at ever pulperia (corner store). Well, we hope everyone is enjoying their autumn days! much love J
|
6 comments:
Hey there! I don't think I've actually commented on one of your entries...I'm not a strange weirdo, I semi-know Crystal from Live Journal. :)
That sounds really cool about running a baseball team. I actually just finished reading Steve and Teresa's blog--that's random. I'm nominated for youth development in Latin America june 2006 along with my partner, who will be in Muni Dev.
I think we may either end up in Honduras or El Salvador. Weeee!
cheers
adrianna
www.beforeitallbegn.blogspot.com
A baseball team! Thats is pretty cool. If you get to manage you should be just like Tom Hanks in A League of Their Own. And remember, there's no crying in baseball. Also be sure to scout some hot talent for Gardy and the Twins. SCOUT! (said in a homer simpson voice while shaking my fist in the air).
Hey guys. We miss you. Things are pretty unbelievable here. If there's a good time to call, let me know. I've wanted to, but haven't had the chance to yet. :( Take care, hopefully we'll talk soon!
Love, K
Baseball sounds cool! (I had to laugh at Velzen's advice.) I've been hearing about flooding in Honduras and thinking of you. Since you've been in the mountains, I hope you're far away from the floods. Take care!
~Erin
hey guys...glad to know you enjoyed your site visit so... it was a trip to chat with you guys after the Gender session the other day...take care and holler if you need anything,
peace, love, and pipe smoke,
tom and sarah
Hello to you both!! I hope things are going well, I've been thinking of you guys. I hope you have time to pop in soon. Take care! (((((hugs)))) Have fun with the beisbol. I'm with the other poster and the League of Their Own quote... "The hard is what makes it great." and of course the "Has anyone seen my new red hat? Oh Piss on your hat!" ;)
Love, K
Post a Comment