The hike itself wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. We're not exactly the hard core hiking type, but we're in good shape and can hold our own if we have to. There were parts where I definitely had to stop and take a break for 5 minutes, but all in all-and with plenty of water we had brought with in our backpack-it was very do-able. Just a note-if you get half way and decide you can't go any further-it's ok. Along the way you will run into little kids on horses who you can pay to give youa ride up. And back down if you like.
This was probably the last thing I thought I`d ever do, since anywhere else on Earth one would have to sign a million waivers and need special equipment for the hike.
We were wearing our best hiking gear: chuckies, jeans, and tee shirts. My chuckies melted on the bottom while trying to get close to the lava for pictures. Don't wear Chucks. The only rule on these tours is that you cannot wear sandals of any kind. So, if you want to climb the volcanoes, be sure to bring at least tennis shoes.
This is the real thing. At 2500 meters its very windy and cold, but the second you step near flowing lava, it warms you right up.
The dried lava (all that gray stuff)that we had to walk across is about a year old. It`s about as sharp as coral, so keeping your balance is important. Besides, if you fell and put your bare hand on it, you might burn yourself.
Here is a view from up top looking down at Antigua and at the other 2 volcanoes (called Fuego and Agua)
And here are some sleepy volcano puppies! Who'd have thought that dogs could live on volcanoes? I think they live off of gringo tourists' lunches. I know they got part of mine.
More to come...
No comments:
Post a Comment