Sunday, May 13, 2007

Feliz día de la madre

So this one is for you, mom.

Mother´s Day isnt taken lightly down here and with good reason. It seems that the mothers of the family do everything- cooking, cleaning, getting the kids to school, running their shops, doing the laundry and having dinner ready by 6pm. And that´s just the easy stuff.

Well one of our schools decided to bring the holiday in with style by having a Mother´s day Celebration of sorts. After being called up unexpectedly to give a speech to all of our students mothers(gulp), I tried my best to capture the day.



The stage was all set. ¨Felicidades Madres¨ (Congratulations Mothers) it says.






Then the Honduran Flag made an appearance, followed by the National Anthem..¨Tú bandera..Tú bandera¨..Everyone watched slyly to make sure I knew the words...I do.








Then the fourth grade boys dressed as ¨Reggatóneros¨ (gangsters who rap to Reggatón..is that a fair translation?) to dance-rap to everyone´s favorite Daddy Yankee song, ¨Gasolina¨. Those of you who haven´t had the thrill of listening to Reggatón music 20 hours a day, when we come home I´ll teach you all 6 songs.



Then it was the grand finale. A speech was given to all moms for their hard work and good food. Afterwards, there was a fashion show to display all of the very important roles of mothers everywhere!

Here were the given roles, from left to right...
1. a nurse
2. the housewife
3. a muchacha (who is a women that is hired to come clean your house and do laundry)
4. The ¨fresa¨ wife (a fresa is a strawberry, but in Honduras it is a nickname for ¨rich city person¨)
5. the pulpería (corner-store) worker
6. Baker
7. Seamstress
8. and last but not least...Dancer.

A little different than what we would have seen at home, right?




Mass ammounts of ¨pastelitos de arroz¨ and ¨Horchata¨ (little fried rice things and thick rice-sugar drink) were passed out to all. As I turned to get out of the room and escape the craziness, I ran into 3 boys from our class. They were all dressed up in their little Honduran cowboy outfits and just too cute. They saw my camera and that was it. I was there for another 20 minutes taking pics of the kids. Hopefully more can be posted later, but here´s a pic of the boys.

So, that about wraps up this mothers day. Simon is out of town, and I´ve been invited to a neighbor´s house for some pastel y coca (Cake and Coke).

Happy Mother´s Day to all! Love you mom!

Crystal

No comments: