Thursday, December 22, 2005

¨Everybody Happy People¨

...This was the closing statement of a Honduran friend of ours at a party we held last night in our house, a Christmas party for La Casa De Juventud, which is more or less a nonprofit group we work with here in Las Vegas.

Last night we hosted a potluck dinner, complete with kareoke courtesy of our site-mate´s computer, and beer, courtesy of one of our counterparts. It went from a very awkward silent kind of gathering into a beer-fueled kareoke/dance party catastrophe. It was also our friend, Neckali's birthday, which here means having a egg smashed on your head, as per custom. Why this is, I don't have the faintest clue. However, when the person in charge of this task happens to be wasted and lacking a degree of accuracy, you only end up with egg on your wall, which then eats the paint off, and you have to repaint the wall in the morning.

Also, our floor was spat upon frequently throughout the evening, and I found a reserve of tobacco spit behind some speakers. gross. And I won´t even get into the condition of our bathroom after everyone left last night, but needless to say it was atrocious. Eventually, some guy broke (on purpose maybe? who knows) a beer bottle on our floor, and we decided to pull the plug on the party. However, aside from these few blog-worthy comments, it was an excellent time for all, and funny to boot.

We have started to give English classes to the members of La Casa de Juventud, so maybe I can work in a few key phrases in our next class, like ¨May I spit my chew on your floor?¨, or ¨What effects do eggs have on your painted walls?¨

Life in the Peace Corps is all about teachable moments.

love you all much

S

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

Two things:
1. Johnny Damon to the Yankees??? WTF?????
2. What are you guys doing superbowl sunday? Can I make that my official move in date? (Really though, do you have plans?...you know, like doing work because I won´t be working!)
I miss you both!

Dirty Flamingo said...

Neato. I really enjoy finding pleasant "surprises" the day after a party.

Anonymous said...

Blechhhh! I've cleaned up some messes after parties, but nothing like that. :P I hope you guys had a great Christmas. I'm done with school now, so prepare to be bombarded by STUFF one of these days! :) Has you snail mail addy changed??