This was the sentence that made me cry harder because I was so flustered with the fact that I couldn't remember how to say it in Spanish.
I was at my evening tutoring session with one of our Honduran teachers. I wrote the whole charla (like a little mini lesson) out in Spanish and asked to have it corrected. Remember, I've only been learning Spanish for about 2 months-I have the vocabulary of a 2 year old. All was well until we got to the commands.
It went something like this:
Teacher: (in Spanish) Are you sure this command isn't supposed to be a question?
C: (also in Spanish) Yes, I´m sure.
Teacher: Why?
C: Because its supposed to be a command.
Teacher: (looking confused) But this is a question.
C: (looking more confused) But it says ¨Now, Everybody form a circle.¨
Teacher: Yes, thats a question in spanish.
C: Wait, Im confused.
Teacher: What are you trying to say here?
C: (Starting to cry) Un momento, porfavor.
Teacher: Oh no, what happened? What´s the matter?
C: (trying to think of the words of the title of this blog, but unable to) I started crying harder.
This was where I lost it and went to the other room crying for approxomately 30 minutes to my other Honduran teacher. I came back and my teacher had gone home.
Luckily the next day, I felt a little better, my charla at the school went ok, and my teacher confronted me again:
Teacher: (in Spanish) Are you Ok today? I am so sorry about yesterday.
C: Oh, no! I'm better. I promise I wont cry for our next tutorial. Spanish is just really hard sometimes.
Teacher: (still in Spanish) Oh, I understand. Its really hard. Ive tried to learn English and I have a hard time, too.
Teacher: In the only English he knows: ¨Crystal, It is like, Spanish, F%!$ You! ¨
C: (Bursting into laughter and saying in Spanish) Yes, it is like that.¨
The end.
For a great story about my groups first visit with our first ¨job¨. Please check out Kathryns blog entry: http://kathrynpcv.blogspot.com/
Saturday, November 5, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Lo siento, chica! (I think that's I'm sorry...right??) I like Simon's post though....one day at a time. Just take comfort in the fact that I really don't even remember how to ask where the bathroom is in spanish anymore, so you're kicking my ass by a longshot! ;) I've got a few letters for you, one of these days I should get off my lazy ass and send them. I owe you an e-mail too! Bad Blondie. :P
Hope your weekend is going well.....it's been cold and rainy all day. Good for doing homework, bad for anything else. Take care dear!
Crystal, to make you feel better this is how the typical conversation between me and any girl I like usually goes:
Me: He, how you doing?
Girl: Who are you?
Me: Ben, we met the other weekend, you don't remember me?
Girl: Where you the weird guy who sat in the corner all night and didn't talk?
Me: See, I knew you would remember me. So, do you want to do something some time?
Girl: (silence, and for some reason crickets are chirping even though we are inside.)
Me: Alright, nice talking to you (then i go home and watch lord of the rings).
The moral of the story is . . . well nothing really, I was just trying to cheer you up.
Alright, I've finally had it!! I'm really sick of this crap where you both sit around and bitch about your Spanish incapabilities. What could possibly need to say in Spanish that you didn't learn in the Native Bay kitchen?!? That's right...nuthin'.
By the way, we all miss you. Especially today. We had the first annual Native Bay football game the Whitecoats got smoked by the evil Blackshirts. Really could've used your help. However, Rey caught the very first touchdown pass of his life and I don't think he's ever been that happy. Not even at Rock Fest. I'll try to send an email when I have time (read: never).
P.S. Check out the new website:
www.nativebayrestaurant.com
You poor thing! One thing that you can look forwards to is that it only gets easier. Before you know it you'll be making jokes in Spanish...one day at a time.
saludos
adrianna
http://www.beforeitallbegan.blogspot.com
Post a Comment